Re: pg_get_viewdefs() indentation considered harmful

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_get_viewdefs() indentation considered harmful
Date: 2014-01-24 23:54:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> We're finding it more and more common for people to define partitioned
> table views with hundreds or thousands of union branches.

Really? Given how poorly the system performs with that many inheritance
children, I've got a hard time believing either that this is common or
that ruleutils is your worst problem with it.

> pg_get_viewdefs indents each branch of the union by 8 spaces more than
> the previous branch.

I think that's because the unions are a nested binary tree so far as the
parsetree representation goes. We could probably teach ruleutils to
flatten the display in common cases, but it might be a bit tricky to be
sure we don't create any lies about unusual nestings.