Re: initdb and "exit_nicely"...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <sullivana(at)bpl(dot)on(dot)ca>, Len Morgan <len-morgan(at)crcom(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb and "exit_nicely"...
Date: 2000-05-24 03:51:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com> writes:
> I think initdb should NOT touch existing PGDATA directories. Let the user
> take the responsibility for rm -rf or moving/renaming. If PGDATA exists it
> should leave it, or at worst rename it to PGDATA.old.1 (increasing number
> or maybe datetime).

Well, we can't quite do that, because PGDATA may very well be a
subdirectory of a root-owned directory --- so initdb *must* be willing
to cope with the case that PGDATA directory has been created for it
by root.

The idea I suggested a couple of days ago was that initdb should refuse
to run if PGDATA exists and is nonempty. Sound reasonable?