Re: proposal: searching in array function - array_position

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: searching in array function - array_position
Date: 2015-03-11 21:14:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/11/15 1:29 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> What is this comment supposed to mean? There is no 'width_array'...
>

> It is typo (I am sorry) - should be width_bucket(, array)
>
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=e80252d424278abf65b624669c8e6b3fe8587cac
>
> The code is similar, but it expect large **sorted** input. array_offset
> works on unsorted (alphabetical unsorted) data sets - like days of week ..

The functions are serving rather different purposes, so I'm not sure
it's worth mentioning. If we do want to mention it, then something like
the following should be added to *both* functions:

* This code is similar to width_bucket()

and

* This code is similar to array_offset()

Incidentally, isn't it bad that we're doing all these static assignments
inside the loop in width_bucket? Or can we count on the compiler to
recognize this?

http://lnk.nu/github.com/1dvrr.c