Re: Statistics Import and Export

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Statistics Import and Export
Date: 2024-03-15 22:30:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2024-03-15 at 03:55 -0400, Corey Huinker wrote:

> Statistics are preserved by default, but this can be disabled with
> the option --no-statistics. This follows the prevailing option
> pattern in pg_dump, etc.

I'm not sure if saving statistics should be the default in 17. I'm
inclined to make it opt-in.

> There are currently several failing TAP tests around
> pg_dump/pg_restore/pg_upgrade.

It is a permissions problem. When user running pg_dump is not the
superuser, they don't have permission to access pg_statistic. That
causes an error in exportRelationStatsStmt(), which returns NULL, and
then the caller segfaults.

> I'm looking at those, but in the mean time I'm seeking feedback on
> the progress so far.

Still looking, but one quick comment is that the third argument of
dumpRelationStats() should be const, which eliminates a warning.

Regards,
Jeff Davis