Re: Join push-down support for foreign tables

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Join push-down support for foreign tables
Date: 2015-03-04 08:00:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015/03/03 21:34, Shigeru Hanada wrote:
> I rebased "join push-down" patch onto Kaigai-san's Custom/Foreign Join
> v6 patch.

Thanks for the work, Hanada-san and KaiGai-san!

Maybe I'm missing something, but did we agree to take this approach, ie,
"join push-down" on top of custom join? There is a comment ahout that
[1]. I just thought it'd be better to achieve a consensus before
implementing the feature further.

> but still the patch
> has an issue about joins underlying UPDATE or DELETE. Now I'm working
> on fixing this issue.

Is that something like "UPDATE foo ... FROM bar ..." where both foo and
bar are remote? If so, I think it'd be better to push such an update
down to the remote, as discussed in [2], and I'd like to work on that
together!

Sorry for having been late for the party.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/23343.1418658355@sss.pgh.pa.us
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/31942.1410534785@sss.pgh.pa.us