Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license
Date: 2015-02-25 17:08:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/25/2015 06:59 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> I doubt we want to rip it out without some suitable replacement -- do we?

No, probably not. I think there are a few options:

0. Find out that the current situation is OK, and the Artistic license
is not a problem the way the code is used.

1. Ask Maurice Aubrey and the other upstream authors if they would like
to re-license it under the PostgreSQL license (or another compatible
license or public domain)

2. Rip it out.

3. Rewrite it in a cleanroom fashion.

- Heikki