Re: "multiple backends attempting to wait for pincount 1"

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: "multiple backends attempting to wait for pincount 1"
Date: 2015-02-23 06:03:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/13/2015 06:27 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Two different CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS critters recently reported exactly
> the same failure pattern on HEAD:
>
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=markhor&dt=2015-02-06%2011%3A59%3A59
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=tick&dt=2015-02-12%2010%3A22%3A57
>
> I'd say we have a problem. I'd even go so far as to say that somebody has
> completely broken locking, because this looks like autovacuum and manual
> vacuuming are hitting the same table at the same time.

fwiw - looks like spoonbill(not doing CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS) managed to
trigger that ones as well:

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=spoonbill&dt=2015-02-23%2000%3A00%3A06

there is also some failures from the BETWEEN changes in that
regression.diff but that might be fallout from the above problem.

Stefan