Snapshot and pg_hotbackup

From: "Arnold, Sandra" <ArnoldS(at)osti(dot)gov>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Snapshot and pg_hotbackup
Date: 2009-09-01 16:08:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Does anyone use OS snapshot as the file system backup solution in the pg_hotbackup instead of tar? Using tar for a small database is not a problem is when you have a database that will be close to a Terrabyte in size it can be a problem. I was wondering if changing the file system backup solution to a snapshot instead has been done. I have PostgreSQL databases on Red Hat Linux and x86 64 bit Solaris. The larger database will be on the Solaris server.

Thanks,

Sandra Arnold
Sr DBA
DOE/OSTI