Re: Configurable location for extension .control files

From: Oskari Saarenmaa <os(at)ohmu(dot)fi>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oliver Charles <ollie(at)ocharles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configurable location for extension .control files
Date: 2015-02-17 22:39:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

10.06.2013, 17:51, Dimitri Fontaine kirjoitti:
> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>> In any case, no packager is going to ship an insecure-by-default
>>> configuration, which is what Dimitri seems to be fantasizing would
>>> happen. It would have to be local option to relax the permissions
>>> on the directory, no matter where it is.
>>
>> *I* don't want that at all. All I'd like to have is a postgresql.conf
>> option specifying additional locations.
>
> Same from me. I think I would even take non-plural location.

Here's a patch to allow overriding extension installation directory.
The patch allows superusers to change it at runtime, but we could also
restrict it to postgresql.conf if needed. I don't really see a point in
restricting it (or not implementing the option at all) as the superuser
can already load custom C code and sql from anywhere in the filesystem;
not having configurable extension directory just makes it harder to test
extensions and to create private clusters of PG data in a custom
location without using custom binaries.

I don't think anyone should be packaging and shipping PG with
extension_directory set, but we really should allow it for superusers
and postgresql.conf so people can test extensions without hacks like
this: https://github.com/ohmu/pgmemcache/blob/master/localtests.sh#L23

/ Oskari

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Allow-overriding-extension_directory.patch text/x-patch 6.6 KB