Re: How to set time zone permanently

From: Morten Sickel <Morten(dot)Sickel(at)nrpa(dot)no>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to set time zone permanently
Date: 2002-02-21 09:20:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Actually, I think there are three levels: system timezone,
> TZ, and PGTZ environment variables. The first is all processes, the
second is all
> processes that have TZ set, and PGTZ affects only PostgreSQL and not
> other applications.

But, as far as I can see, these variables are taken into account at client
level. I.e. I have to set PGTZ=WST for the users who are running the
clients, not as the postgres user who runs the server (I have at least not
managed that, I have tried to set the variables in the pg startup script and
in the .profile of the postgres user to no avail). When I am running windows
clients, (ipgsql and a couple of things I have written in Delphi) they don't
seem to care about the time zone. Is it any way I can tell the pgodbc driver
or the pglibs on Windows pcs which time zone to use when connecting to the
server?

best regards

--
Morten Sickel
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority