Issue adding foreign key

From: "George Woodring" <george(dot)woodring(at)iglass(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Issue adding foreign key
Date: 2004-10-28 20:14:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I have 2 existing tables in my db:

iss=> \d pollgrpinfo
Table "public.pollgrpinfo"
Column | Type | Modifiers
---------------+------------------------+-----------
pollgrpinfoid | integer | not null
pollgrpid | integer | not null
name | character varying(100) |
descript | character varying(200) |
"pollgrpinfo_pkey" primary key, btree (pollgrpinfoid)
"pollgrpinfo_pollgrpid_key" unique, btree (pollgrpid)

iss=> \d notpoll
Table "public.notpoll"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-------------+------------------------+---------------------
notpollid | integer | not null
pollgrpid | integer |
notgroupsid | integer |
alerting | character(1) | default 'y'::bpchar
disuser | character varying(50) |
distime | integer |
alertingcom | character varying(200) |
"notpoll_pkey" primary key, btree (notpollid)
"notpoll_pollgrpid_key" unique, btree (pollgrpid)
"notpoll_alerting_index" btree (alerting)
Triggers:
"RI_ConstraintTrigger_2110326" AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE ON notpoll
FROM notgroups NOT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
PROCEDURE "RI_FKey_check_ins"('notgroups_exists', 'notpoll',
'notgroups', 'UNSPECIFIED', 'notgroupsid', 'notgroupsid')

I am trying to add a foreign key to the notpoll table

iss=> alter table notpoll add constraint pollgrp_exists foreign
key(pollgrpid) references pollgrpinfo on delete cascade;
ERROR: insert or update on table "notpoll" violates foreign key
constraint "pollgrp_exists"
DETAIL: Key (pollgrpid)=(7685) is not present in table "pollgrpinfo".

I have verified that the information is in the pollgrpinfo table:

iss=> select * from pollgrpinfo where pollgrpid=7685;
pollgrpinfoid | pollgrpid | name | descript
---------------+-----------+------+----------
767 | 7685 | HTTP |
(1 row)

I could use a suggestion on how to proceed in troubleshooting the error
message. I am running 7.4.5

Thanks,
Woody

iGLASS Networks