Re: Possible problem with pgcrypto

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible problem with pgcrypto
Date: 2015-02-05 18:18:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/5/15 4:48 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
> What the script does is to encode a small string with pgp_sym_encrypt()
> and then repeatedly try to decrypt it with different "wrong" passwords.
> The expected error message for that is of course
>
> "Wrong key or corrupt data".
>
> Every now and then, I get a different error message. Things I've seen are:
>
> "Not text data"

That's not unexpected; the check for whether the data is text or not
appears to happen quite early in the process of decoding. So it's
enough to get to that point without anything being obviously broken.

In addition to the two errors above, it doesn't appear to be too
difficult to see PXE_MBUF_SHORT_READ, which would give you ERROR:
Corrupt data. I wonder why that error message is different, though.

> "pgcrypto bug"

That doesn't look too good, but I can't reproduce it against 9.3.6 either.

.m