Re: proposal: searching in array function - array_position

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: searching in array function - array_position
Date: 2015-01-16 16:57:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/16/15 3:39 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I am proposing a simple function, that returns a position of element in array.

Yes please!

> FUNCTION array_position(anyarray, anyelement) RETURNS int

That won't work on a multi-dimensional array. Ideally it needs to accept a slice or an element and return the specifier for the slice.

This wouldn't be so bad if we had an easier way to extract subsets of an array, but even that is really ugly because whatever you extract keeps the original number of dimensions.

> Implementation is simple (plpgsql code)

This would actually be written in C though, yes? Otherwise it's not really any better than just doing an extension...