max_connections documentation

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: max_connections documentation
Date: 2015-01-10 00:50:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm surprised to see that the docs make no mention of how max_connections, max_worker_processes and autovacuum_max_workers (don't) relate. I couldn't remember and had to actually look at the code. I'd like to clarify this in the max_connecitons section of the documents by doing s/connections/user connections/ and including the formula for MaxBackends (MaxBackends = MaxConnections + autovacuum_max_workers + 1 + max_worker_processes). I'll also mention that any postgres_fdw connections are considered user connections.

Objections? Comments?

Also, my understanding is that the parallel stuff will continue to fall under max_worker_processes?