Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alex Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs
Date: 2015-01-08 21:01:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/6/15 4:40 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Btw., I'm not sure that everyone will be happy to have primary_conninfo
>> > visible, since it might contain passwords.
> Didn't we discuss this? I forgot what the conclusion was ... probably
> not to put passwords in primary_conninfo.

One can always say, don't do that then. But especially with
pg_basebackup -R mindlessly copying passwords from .pgpass into
recovery.conf, the combination of these factors would proliferate
passwords a bit too easily for my taste.

Maybe a separate primary_conninfo_password that is a kind of write-only
GUC would work. (That's how passwords usually work: You can change your
password, but can't see your existing one.)