Re: PostgreSQL file system based restore from Linux to Windows

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, girish R G peetle <giri(dot)anamika0(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL file system based restore from Linux to Windows
Date: 2015-01-02 10:56:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 12/31/2014 02:28 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> It might happen to work, if you're talking the same Intel-ish CPU type
> on both ends ... but if it fails, don't call us.

It might for 32-bit, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to for 64-bit
because Windows is LLP64 and Linux is LP64, so sizeof(long) differs. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing .

(Yet another area where Windows is annoyingly and pointlessly different,
like use of UTF16 instead of UTF-8, though at least there they have the
excuse of doing it first.)

Just use a Linux box or a virtual machine to start a copy of the
database, then pg_dump -Fc it and pg_restore to a new instance on the
Windows box.