Re: LWLock optimization for multicore Power machines

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LWLock optimization for multicore Power machines
Date: 2017-04-05 23:24:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Have you done x86 benchmarking?

> I think unless such benchmarking is done in the next 24h we need to move
> this patch to the next CF...

In theory, inlining the _impl function should lead to exactly the same
assembly code as before, on all non-PPC platforms. Confirming that would
be a good substitute for benchmarking.

Having said that, I'm not sure this patch is solid enough to push in
right now, and would be happy with seeing it pushed to v11.