Re: warning about console code page on starting psql

From: Scott Robertson <stumpednomore(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: warning about console code page on starting psql
Date: 2014-12-18 06:35:56
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-novice

SOLVED, see below

On 12/17/2014 2:06 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014, David Johnston
> <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> Forwarding to -docs for now.
>
> I suggest simply dropping the "cmd.exe /c"part from the docs and
> mention that the command should be run from an active console. A
> recommendation for a batch file or similar would be nice. I
> may put together an actual patch if I get a chance and don't see
> one come across but for now just reporting this. Would want to
> research methods for making both these items persist and
> recommending such. See my other curiosities below...
>
> David J.

Case closed and much learned. The documentation was depending on me
remembering some things learned from a dos class almost 20 years ago,
haven't used the command line console since.

SUMMARY OF SOLUTION
start console cmd.exe
use icon upper left on title bar to change font to Lucida Console
change to root directory: cd\
check the code page to confirm it's wrong: chcp
change the code page: chcp 1252
change to postgresql directory; in my Windows 7 it's: cd program
files\postgresql\9.4\bin\
open psql (in same console) as superuser so operating system user
password isn't expected: psql -U postgres
prompt comes up for postgres password

RESULTS:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

C:\Users\Luther>cd/

C:\>chcp
Active code page: 437

C:\>chcp 1252
Active code page: 1252

C:\>cd program files\postgresql\9.4\bin\

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.4\bin>
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.4\bin>psql -U postgres
Password for user postgres:
psql (9.4rc1)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \c testdb2
You are now connected to database "testdb2" as user "postgres".
testdb2=# select * from jedstblinmelsdb;
key | name | address
(0 rows)

---