Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Date: 2014-12-17 18:02:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/17/14, 10:20 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>>> * Change the new bit in the errdetail. "could not acquire cleanup lock"
>>> sounds too much like an error to me. "skipped %u pinned pages" maybe?
>>
>> Seems reasonable.
>
> Well, that's not always true either; when freezing, it doesn't skip the pinned pages, it waits for them.

Oops. :(

> I.e. this just says how many pages were pinned, without saying what was done about them. That's not very meaningful to an average DBA, but that's true for many of the numbers printed in vacuum verbose.

In this case it'll mean people will be less likely to report that this is happening, but maybe that's OK. At least if someone comes to us with a problem we'll be able to get some info from them. I'll separately look into the vacuum docs and see if we can do a better job explaining the verbose output.

BTW, what is it about a dynamic message that makes it untranslatable? Doesn't the translation happen down-stream, so that at most we'd just need two translation messages? Or worst case we could have two separate elog calls, if we wanted to go that route.