Re: Commitfest problems

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)ilande(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Commitfest problems
Date: 2014-12-16 10:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16/12/14 04:57, Noah Misch wrote:

>> But that doesn't mean we should be turning anyone away. We should not.
>
> +1. Some of the best reviews I've seen are ones where the reviewer expressed
> doubts about the review's quality, so don't let such doubts keep you from
> participating. Every defect you catch saves a committer time; a review that
> finds 3 of the 10 defects in a patch is still a big help. Some patch
> submissions waste the community's time, but it's almost impossible to waste
> the community's time by posting a patch review.
>
> Confusion may have arisen due to statements that we need more expert
> reviewers, which is also true. (When an expert writes a sufficiently-complex
> patch, it's important that a second expert examine the patch at some point.)
> If you're a novice reviewer, your reviews do help to solve that problem by
> reducing the workload on expert reviewers.

I should add that by reducing the barrier of entry for patch review,
there is definitely potential to find common errors before a patch gets
analysed in detail by a committer.

For example I may not know a lot about certain PostgreSQL subsystems but
from a decent C coding background I can pick out certain suspicious
things in patches, e.g. potential overflows, pointer arithmetic bugs,
spelling mistakes/incorrect comments etc. and flag them to the original
submitter to double-check.

ATB,

Mark.