Re: Commitfest problems

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)ilande(dot)co(dot)uk>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Commitfest problems
Date: 2014-12-14 20:07:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/15/2014 02:46 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Interestingly enough, I tend to work in a very similar way to this. When
> submitting patches upstream, I tend to rebase on a new branch and then
> squash/rework as required.

Same here, and I find it works really well ... when I do it properly.

I usually have a private development branch that's full of "fixup! "
commits, WIPs, awful commit messages, etc.

Then I have the tree that's been rebased, squashed, and tided up.

I periodically tidy my latest work and replace the old clean tree with
it, then start my new development branch on top of the new clean tree.

This gives me a somewhat nice looking, well ordered patch series to work
on top of, while retaining the flexibility to do lots of quick fixes etc.

Admittedly, sometimes the development tree gets a bit large and it takes
a while before I give it a proper cleanup. My current project being very
much in that category. Still - it works well in general.

> I find that this isn't too bad in practice. If you think about
> monolithic patches during a commitfest, you can imagine that most of
> them will touch one of the core .h files which will require most things
> to be rebuilt once applied during bisection.

It's not build time, it's test-run time. Especially if you can't
automate the test, or it isn't practical to.

That's a legitimate concern - but I don't think we'd see a blowout of
patch counts to quite the same degree.