Re: moving from contrib to bin

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: moving from contrib to bin
Date: 2014-12-12 13:11:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/9/14 4:32 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 06:10:02PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> (For pg_upgrade you also need to do something about pg_upgrade_support,
>> which is good because that is one very ugly crock.)
>
> FYI, pg_upgrade_support was segregated from pg_upgrade only because we
> wanted separate binary and shared object build/install targets.

I think the actual reason is that the makefile structure won't let you
have them both in the same directory. I don't see why you would need
separate install targets.

How about we move these support functions into the backend? It's not
like we don't already have other pg_upgrade hooks baked in all over the
place.