PATCH: adaptive ndistinct estimator v3 (WAS: Re: [PERFORM] Yet another abort-early plan disaster on 9.3)

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PATCH: adaptive ndistinct estimator v3 (WAS: Re: [PERFORM] Yet another abort-early plan disaster on 9.3)
Date: 2014-12-07 01:54:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hi!

This was initially posted to pgsql-performance in this thread:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5472416C.3080506@fuzzy.cz

but pgsql-hackers seems like a more appropriate place for further
discussion.

Anyways, attached is v3 of the patch implementing the adaptive ndistinct
estimator. Just like the previous version, the original estimate is the
one stored/used, and the alternative one is just printed, to make it
possible to compare the results.

Changes in this version:

1) implementing compute_minimal_stats

- So far only the 'scalar' (more common) case was handled.

- The algorithm requires more detailed input data, the MCV-based
stats insufficient, so the code hashes the values and then
determines the f1, f2, ..., fN coefficients by sorting and
walking the array of hashes.

2) handling wide values properly (now are counted into f1)

3) compensating for NULL values when calling optimize_estimate

- The estimator has no notion of NULL values, so it's necessary to
remove them both from the total number of rows, and sampled rows.

4) some minor fixes and refactorings

I also repeated the tests comparing the results to the current estimator
- full results are at the end of the post.

The one interesting case is the 'step skew' with statistics_target=10,
i.e. estimates based on mere 3000 rows. In that case, the adaptive
estimator significantly overestimates:

values current adaptive
------------------------------
106 99 107
106 8 6449190
1006 38 6449190
10006 327 42441

I don't know why I didn't get these errors in the previous runs, because
when I repeat the tests with the old patches I get similar results with
a 'good' result from time to time. Apparently I had a lucky day back
then :-/

I've been messing with the code for a few hours, and I haven't found any
significant error in the implementation, so it seems that the estimator
does not perform terribly well for very small samples (in this case it's
3000 rows out of 10.000.000 (i.e. ~0.03%).

However, I've been able to come up with a simple way to limit such
errors, because the number of distinct values is naturally bounded by

(totalrows / samplerows) * ndistinct

where ndistinct is the number of distinct values in the sample. This
essentially means that if you slice the table into sets of samplerows
rows, you get different ndistinct values.

BTW, this also fixes the issue reported by Jeff Janes on 21/11.

With this additional sanity check, the results look like this:

values current adaptive
------------------------------
106 99 116
106 8 23331
1006 38 96657
10006 327 12400

Which is much better, but clearly still a bit on the high side.

So either the estimator really is a bit unstable for such small samples
(it tends to overestimate a bit in all the tests), or there's a bug in
the implementation - I'd be grateful if someone could peek at the code
and maybe compare it to the paper describing the estimator. I've spent a
fair amount of time analyzing it, but found nothing.

But maybe the estimator really is unstable for such small samples - in
that case we could probably use the current estimator as a fallback.
After all, this only happens when someone explicitly decreases the
statistics target to 10 - with the default statistics target it's damn
accurate.

kind regards
Tomas

statistics_target = 10
======================

a) smooth skew, 101 values, different skew ('k')

- defaults to the current estimator

b) smooth skew, 10.001 values, different skew ('k')

k current adaptive
-----------------------

c) step skew (different numbers of values)

values current adaptive
------------------------------
106 99 107
106 8 6449190
1006 38 6449190
10006 327 42441

patched:

values current adaptive
------------------------------
106 99 116
106 8 23331
1006 38 96657
10006 327 12400

statistics_target = 100
=======================

-----------------------------

c) step skew (different numbers of values)

values current adaptive
------------------------------
106 30 70
1006 271 1181
10006 2804 10312

statistics_target = 1000

c) step skew (different numbers of values)

values current adaptive
106 105 113
1006 958 1077
10006 9592 10840

Attachment Content-Type Size
ndistinct-estimator-v3.patch text/x-diff 12.1 KB