Re: Any better plan for this query?..

From: Dimitri <dimitrik(dot)fr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any better plan for this query?..
Date: 2009-05-12 15:22:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Robert, what I'm testing now is 256 users max. The workload is growing
progressively from 1, 2, 4, 8 ... to 256 users. Of course the Max
throughput is reached on the number of users equal to 2 * number of
cores, but what's important for me here - database should continue to
keep the workload! - response time regressing, but the troughput
should remain near the same.

So, do I really need a pooler to keep 256 users working?? - I don't
think so, but please, correct me.

BTW, I did not look to put PostgreSQL in bad conditions - the test is
the test, and as I said 2 years ago PostgreSQL outperformed MySQL on
the same test case, and there was nothing done within MySQL code to
improve it explicitly for db_STRESS.. And I'm staying pretty honest
when I'm testing something.

Rgds,
-Dimitri