Re: libpq pipelining

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Matt Newell <newellm(at)blur(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq pipelining
Date: 2014-12-04 09:08:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/04/2014 03:11 AM, Matt Newell wrote:
> The recent discussion about pipelining in the jodbc driver prompted me to look
> at what it would take for libpq.

Great!

> I have a proof of concept patch working. The results are even more promising
> than I expected.
>
> While it's true that many applications and frameworks won't easily benefit, it
> amazes me that this hasn't been explored before.
>
> I developed a simple test application that creates a table with a single auto
> increment primary key column, then runs a 4 simple queries x times each:
>
> I plan to write documentation, add regression testing, and do general cleanup
> before asking for feedback on the patch itself. Any suggestions about
> performance testing or api design would be nice. I haven't played with
> changing the sync logic yet, but I'm guessing that an api to allow manual sync
> instead of a sync per PQsendQuery will be needed. That could make things
> tricky though with multi-statement queries, because currently the only way to
> detect when results change from one query to the next are a ReadyForQuery
> message.

A good API is crucial for this. It should make it easy to write an
application that does pipelining, and to handle all the error conditions
in a predictable way. I'd suggest that you write the documentation
first, before writing any code, so that we can discuss the API. It
doesn't have to be in SGML format yet, a plain-text description of the
API will do.

- Heikki