TESTING (was: RE: More vacuum.c refactoring )

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Manfred Koizar" <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: TESTING (was: RE: More vacuum.c refactoring )
Date: 2004-06-11 21:14:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Then why didn't those bugs get added to the regression? That has been
standard procedure in every place that I have ever worked.
We have 7000+ tests in our CONNX regression suite that take one week to
run, on an array of dozens of computers from micros to mainframes.
Besides finding quickly if you have reintroduced a problem, it will also
ferret out lots of newly introduced problems.
It seems that MySQL has some sort of extensive test, from looking at
their site. Maybe the Pgsql group could simply cannibalize it.

Perhaps your regression test is really a sanity check, rather than a
regression test. After all, the meaning of 'regression' itself demands
that you introduce new tests based upon old failures.

I seem to recall that someone was porting the NIST suite to PostgreSQL.
What ever happened to that effort?