Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Date: 2014-11-19 22:38:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-11-19 23:18, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>> particular,
>>
>>> What I liked about this syntax was that we could eventually have:
>>> RAISE ASSERT WHEN stuff;
>>> ...and if assertions are disabled, we can skip evaluating the
>>> condition. If you just write an IF .. THEN block you can't do that.
>>
>> Well, if that's what you want, let's just invent
>>
>> ASSERT condition
>>

> there was this proposal .. ASSERT statement .. related discuss was
> finished, because it needs a reserved keyword "ASSERT".

Finished? Really?

This was Heikki's take on the discussion that took place a good while
ago: http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5405FF73.1010206@vmware.com.
And in the same thread you also said you like it:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRAC-ZWDrbU-uj=xQOWQtbAqR5oXsM1xYOyhZmyeuvZvQA@mail.gmail.co.
But perhaps you've changed your mind since then (which is fine.) Or
maybe that was only in the case where we'd have a special mode where you
could opt-in if you're willing to accept the backwards compatibility issue?

I also went back to the original thread, and I think Heikki's summary
dismissed e.g. Robert's criticism quite lightly:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobWoSSRNcV_iJK3xhsytXb7Dv0AWGvWkMEurNTOVEZYyw@mail.gmail.com

.marko