Re: BRIN indexes - TRAP: BadArgument

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Emanuel Calvo <3manuek(at)esdebian(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Claudio Freire" <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BRIN indexes - TRAP: BadArgument
Date: 2014-11-09 09:18:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/09/2014 08:06 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Please find attached another small fix. This time it's just a small typo in
>> the README, and just some updates to some, now outdated docs.
> Speaking about the feature... The index operators are still named with
> "minmax", wouldn't it be better to switch to "brin"?

All the built-in opclasses still implement the min-max policy - they
store the min and max values. BRIN supports other kinds of opclasses,
like storing a containing box for points, but no such opclasses have
been implemented yet.

Speaking of which, Alvaro, any chance we could get such on opclass still
included into 9.5? It would be nice to have one, just to be sure that
nothing minmax-specific has crept into the BRIN code.

- Heikki