Re: pg_basebackup fails with long tablespace paths

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup fails with long tablespace paths
Date: 2014-11-08 02:03:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here are patches to address that. First, it reports errors when
> attempting to create a tar header that would truncate file or symlink
> names. Second, it works around the problem in the tests by creating a
> symlink from the short-name tempdir that we had set up for the
> Unix-socket directory case.

I ended up splitting this up differently. I applied to part of the
second patch that works around the length issue in tablespaces. So the
tests now pass in 9.4 and up even in working directories with long
names. This clears up the regression in 9.4.

The remaining, not applied patch is attached. It errors when the file
name is too long and adds tests for that. This could be applied to 9.5
and backpatched, if we so choose. It might become obsolete if
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1512 is accepted.
If that patch doesn't get accepted, I might add my patch to a future
commit fest.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Error-when-creating-names-too-long-for-tar-format.patch application/x-patch 5.4 KB