Re: tracking commit timestamps

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: tracking commit timestamps
Date: 2014-11-03 21:26:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 11/1/14 8:04 AM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On second thought, maybe those should be pg_get_transaction_committs,
> pg_get_transaction_committs_data, etc.

Please don't name anything "committs". That looks like a misspelling of
something.

There is nothing wrong with

pg_get_transaction_commit_timestamp()

If you want to reduce the length, lose the "get".

> For me the commit time thing feels problematic in the way I perceive it
> - I see commit time as a point in time, where I see commit timestamp (or
> committs for short) as something that can recorded. So I would prefer to
> stick with commit timestamp/committs.

In PostgreSQL, it is pretty clearly established that time is hours,
minutes, seconds, and timestamp is years, months, days, hours, minutes,
seconds. So unless this feature only records the hour, minute, and
second of a commit, it should be "timestamp".