SET TABLESPACE ... NOWAIT

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SET TABLESPACE ... NOWAIT
Date: 2014-10-30 21:44:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

while preparing an overview of features new in 9.4, I noticed that while
we provide NOWAIT for the "ALTER ... ALL IN TABLESPACE" commands, we
don't support that for the 'single object' case. Is that on purpose? I
assume it makes, as with a single object you can't get stuck half-way
through, but I don't see it mentioned in any of the discussions (both
for the original patch in January and the summer reworks).

Also, the current phrasing "If the NOWAIT option is specified then the
command will fail if it is unable to acquire all of the locks required
immediately." seems a bit ambiguous to me. Maybe it's just me, but I
wasn't sure if that means "locks for all objects immediately, before
actually starting moving them to the new tablespace", and I had to check
to code that I understand it correctly. But maybe that's just me and
it's unambiguous to everyone else. Well, it would be really strange if
it behaved differently ...

Tomas