Re: Patch: Add launchd Support

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Add launchd Support
Date: 2014-10-20 23:58:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/20/14, 5:59 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> In Mac OS X 10.10 “Yosemite,” Apple removed SystemStarter, upon which our OS X start script has relied since 2007. So here is a patch that adds support for its replacement, launchd. It includes 7 day log rotation like the old script did. The install script still prefers the SystemStarter approach for older versions of the OS, for the sake of easier backward compatibility. We could change that if we wanted, since launchd has been part of the OS for around a decade.

You're enabling POSTGRESQL in /etc/hostconfig before any of the files are copied over... what happens if we puke before the files get copied? Would it be better to enable after the scripts are in place?

BTW, Mavericks has a comment that /etc/hostconfig is going away, but google isn't telling me what's replacing it...