Re: fsync, fdatasync, open_sync, and open_datasync, -- Linux insanity

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fsync, fdatasync, open_sync, and open_datasync, -- Linux insanity
Date: 2004-08-11 15:01:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com writes:
> What would be a good strategy for addressing this issue? Is it an issue at
> all? Is it simply a documentation issue? Do we craft some sort of test
> that can characterize the behavior? What would that test need to do?

It seems to me that it's a documentation issue. Maybe we could add a
section to the "Performance Tips" chapter advising that people
experiment with the different settings.

I don't think any test that we could build would be as useful as simply
trying the different settings with an installation's real workload.