Re: Trailing comma support in SELECT statements

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trailing comma support in SELECT statements
Date: 2014-10-19 02:06:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/17/14, 11:19 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2014, at 3:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, exactly. Personally I'm *not* for this, but if we do it we should
>> do it consistently: every comma-separated list in the SQL syntax should
>> work the same.
>
> PL/pgSQL, too, I presume.

Yes.

The only case I can think of where we wouldn't want this is COPY.

BTW, this should also apply to delimiters other than commas; for example, some geometry types use ; as a delimiter between points.

I do think such a change should be made in stages, and maybe not every last one makes it into 9.5, but the intention should certainly be that we support extra delimiters *everywhere*.