Re: copy from stdin limits

From: Camm Maguire <camm(at)enhanced(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ed Loehr <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>, pghackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: copy from stdin limits
Date: 2000-12-07 16:30:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings, and thank you for your reply.

OK, I have 4 tables, and a view on a merge of the 4. I have a trigger
on insert into table 3, and a trigger on insert into the view, which
basically just takes the input data, does a few selects on the tables,
and inserts the appropriate portions of the data into each table as
necessary.

When I copy up to ~ 1000 lines of a file into this view, everything
goes fine. More than that, and after a while, cpu activity stops,
disk activity stops, and the job hangs indefinitely. Control-C gives
the later message "You have to get out of copy state yourself". I can
provide the schema if needed.

Thanks for your help!

--
Camm Maguire camm(at)enhanced(dot)com
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." -- Baha'u'llah