Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent
Date: 2005-02-25 15:47:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> Yea, probably September, but you can't dump a huge feature on us in
>> August either without having talked about it first, so knowing the date
>> might not be that helpful.

> I thought we were looking at a 12-18 month cycle for 8.1? Which would put
> beta around January '06, no?

Although we've dropped the idea of letting the ARC problem drive a very
short 8.1 cycle, I would still like to see us shoot for a relatively
short 8.1 cycle --- less than a year for sure. The main reason is that
I think we'll be flushing out performance and feature issues in the
Windows port that we cannot reasonably back-patch into 8.0.*. PITR also.
In general it seems to me that 8.1 will need to have a consolidation and
fill-in-the-blanks flavor after what we did for 8.0, and that will be
helped by a shorter devel cycle.

As a proposal: feature freeze maybe early summer (June or July), beta
maybe Aug/Sep, final as always "when it's ready" (maybe Oct/Nov with
a good tailwind).