Re: BUG #4340: SECURITY: Is SSL Doing Anything?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dan Kaminsky" <dan(at)doxpara(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4340: SECURITY: Is SSL Doing Anything?
Date: 2008-08-04 15:50:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Dan Kaminsky" <dan(at)doxpara(dot)com> writes:
> Clearly, this is handling self-signed certs. Great. But what I really want
> to know is, is verify_peer accepting a self-signed identity assertion?
> Because that'd be remote EoP.

I'm just guessing what you're driving at (unexplained acronyms aren't
a good way to communicate), but I think it's not a big problem. PG
doesn't rely on SSL for authentication, only for communications
security, so whether the remote cert is self-signed doesn't seem
like much of an issue. Anyway, you can adjust your list of trusted
CAs to determine whether you'll accept it or not.