Re: pgcrypto: PGP signatures

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <munro(at)ip9(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgcrypto: PGP signatures
Date: 2014-10-02 12:12:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I looked at this briefly, and was surprised that there is no support for
> signing a message without encrypting it. Is that intentional? Instead of
> adding a function to encrypt and sign a message, I would have expected
> this to just add a new function for signing, and you could then pass it
> an already-encrypted blob, or plaintext.

Yes, that's intentional. The signatures are part of the encrypted data
here, so you can't look at a message and determine who sent it.

There was brief discussion about this upthread (though no one probably
added any links to those discussions into the commit fest app), and I
still think that both types of signing would probably be valuable. But
this patch is already quite big, and I really have no desire to work on
this "sign anything" functionality. The pieces are there, though, so if
someone wants to do it, I don't see why they couldn't.

.marko