Re: new tests post-feature freeze (was pgsql: Add TAP tests for pg_dump)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new tests post-feature freeze (was pgsql: Add TAP tests for pg_dump)
Date: 2016-05-08 16:28:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> My suggestion is that, from this point forward, we add new tests to
> 9.6 only if they are closely related to a bug that is getting fixed or
> a feature that is new in 9.6. I think that's a reasonable compromise,
> but what do others think?

Yeah, that's fair. I suspect that Peter's unhappiness with these tests
is partly rooted in the fact that they're just generic pg_dump tests
and not connected to any new-in-9.6 behavior. As such, it's not entirely
clear why we should be taking any stability risk by pushing them in
so late. We seem to have gotten away with it this time --- but it would
only have taken one more problem to get me to switch my vote to "revert
them".