Re: pgcrypto: PGP armor headers

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgcrypto: PGP armor headers
Date: 2014-09-25 13:56:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 09/10/2014 04:35 PM, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
>> OK, I've attemped to do that in the attached. I'm pretty sure I didn't
>> get all of the overflows right, so someone should probably take a really
>> good look at it. (I'm not too confident the original code got them
>> right either, but whatever).
>
> Looks good, committed.

Thanks!

> It might've been a tad more efficient to return
> the StringInfo buffer directly from pgp_armor/dearmor, and avoid the
> extra palloc and memcpy, but this isn't performance critical enough for
> it to really matter.

I couldn't see any way of doing that without breaking the VARDATA
abstraction. I even went looking for similar cases in the source code,
but couldn't find any. If you can come up with a way, feel free to
change that -- I'd like to learn myself.

But like you, I didn't consider it too important.

> Are you planning to post the main patch rebased on top of this soon? As
> in the next day or two? Otherwise I'll mark this as "Returned with
> feedback" for this commitfest.

Yes. With good luck I'll get you a rebased one today, otherwise it'll
have to wait until tomorrow.

.marko