Re: add modulo (%) operator to pgbench

From: Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add modulo (%) operator to pgbench
Date: 2014-09-25 05:27:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/24/14, 10:10 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I implemented this
> today in about three hours.

I think you're greatly understating your own efficiency at
shift/reducing parser mountains down to molehills. Fabien even guessed
the LOC size of the resulting patch with less than a 9% error. That's
some top notch software metrics and development work there boys; kudos
all around.

Let's get this operator support whipped into shape, then we can add the
2 to 3 versions of the modulo operator needed to make the major use
cases work. (There was never going to be just one hacked in with a
quick patch that satisfied the multiple ways you can do this)

Then onto the last missing pieces of Fabien's abnormally distributed
test workload vision. He seems kind of stressed about the process
lately; not sure what to say about it. Yes, the PostgreSQL community is
hostile to short, targeted feature improvements unless they come already
fit into a large, standards compliant strategy for improving the
database. That doesn't work well when approached by scratch an itch
stye development. Nothing we can really do about it

--
Greg Smith greg(dot)smith(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com
Chief PostgreSQL Evangelist - http://crunchydatasolutions.com/