Re: Extending COPY TO

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Andrea Riciputi <andrea(dot)riciputi(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Extending COPY TO
Date: 2014-09-24 10:17:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/24/2014 09:23 AM, Andrea Riciputi wrote:
> Imagine you access PG from an application written in the language X
> using a driver library, both your application and your PG instance
> run on two different hosts.

In that scenario, you'll be using the PQgetCopyData function to get the
data. PQgetCopyData returns one row at a time; the application can
trivially change the line-ending to whatever it wants, when writing the
output to a file or wherever it goes.

> As I wrote before, despite being an heavy PG user, it’s my first time
> on the hackers ML and I don’t want to seem disrespectful of the
> community.

No worries; thanks for effort, even if this idea doesn't pan out.

- Heikki