Re: better atomics - v0.6

From: Oskari Saarenmaa <os(at)ohmu(dot)fi>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: better atomics - v0.6
Date: 2014-09-23 10:50:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

23.09.2014, 00:01, Andres Freund kirjoitti:
> I've finally managed to incorporate (all the?) feedback I got for
> 0.5. Imo the current version looks pretty good.
>
> Most notable changes:
> * Lots of comment improvements
> * code moved out of storage/ into port/
> * separated the s_lock.h changes into its own commit
> * merged i386/amd64 into one file
> * fixed lots of the little details Amit noticed
> * fixed lots of XXX/FIXMEs
> * rebased to today's master
> * tested various gcc/msvc versions
> * extended the regression tests
> * ...
>
> The patches:
> 0001: The actual atomics API

I tried building PG on Solaris 10/Sparc using GCC 4.9.0 (buildfarm
animal dingo) with this patch but regression tests failed due to:

/export/home/os/postgresql/src/test/regress/regress.so: symbol
pg_write_barrier_impl: referenced symbol not found

which turns out to be caused by a leftover PG_ prefix in ifdefs for
HAVE_GCC__ATOMIC_INT64_CAS. Removing the PG_ prefix fixed the build and
regression tests. Attached a patch to strip the invalid prefix.

> 0002: Implement s_lock.h support ontop the atomics API. Existing
> implementations continue to be used unless
> FORCE_ATOMICS_BASED_SPINLOCKS is defined

Applied this and built PG with and without FORCE_ATOMICS_BASED_SPINLOCKS
- both builds passed regression tests.

> 0003-0005: Not proposed for review here. Just included because code
> actually using the atomics make testing them easier.

I'll look at these patches later.

/ Oskari

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-atomics-fix-ifdefs-for-gcc-atomics.patch text/x-diff 1.9 KB