Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

From: cowwoc <cowwoc(at)bbs(dot)darktech(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Date: 2014-09-15 18:12:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On 15/09/2014 2:02 PM, lup [via PostgreSQL] wrote:
> On 09/15/2014 11:49 AM, cowwoc wrote:
>> I think developers choosing this route (myself included) are willing
>> to pay the price in exchange for improved readability/maintainability
>> (the assumption being that the resulting performance will be "good
>> enough"). There seem to be plenty of people heading in this direction
>> otherwise other languages (like pl/v8) wouldn't enjoy the popularity
>> they do.
>>
>> Gili
> I've seen too many good java developers write too much terrible
> database-oriented code. If they are good with db and sql, plpgsql
> will not be a problem to learn.

lup,

Then does Postgresql support languages other than pl/pgsql? I'm not
trying to tear down pl/pgsql, simply pointing out that there is strong
demand for other languages as well.

And to answer Pavel's earlier point: the lack of developers getting
behind pl/java and JDBC driver does not equate the lack of demand for
those tools. For every one person contributing patches, there are 1000s
who do not but are more than happy to use the finished work.

Gili