Re: PostgreSQL Portable

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Portable
Date: 2014-09-10 21:50:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On 09/10/2014 02:00 PM, Daniel Begin wrote:

> First, I am a Newbie regarding PostgreSQL …
>
> I just started to look at PostgreSQL to implement a large GIS DB
> (1Tb). The data must reside in an external disk with eSATA connection
> and may be moved to different locations (and Windows
> desktops/laptops). I was looking to install PostgreSQL and PostGIS
> extensions on each PC (setting-up the proper PGDATA directory to the
> external disk) until I read about PostgreSQL and PgAdmin Portable …
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgadminportable/
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresqlportable/
>
> Is that a viable alternative considering the expected size of the DB?
> Any comments or proposal would be appreciated J
>
> Daniel

It appears you are looking to take the PostgreSQL data directory from
machine to machine on an external drive. I fear you will run into some
potential problems:

1. Performance (mentioned by others).

2. OS mismatch. Have you ensured that all client machines are running
identical setups? The underlying files are not guaranteed portable
between OS versions and 64/32-bit. In fact they probably won't be.

3. Backups. What happens when one user screws up the database?

Perhaps you could explain further the genesis of this requirement. The
message list is littered with questions like this asking how to
implement a certain solution when, given an understanding of the reason
the question is being asked, a far better solution exists. This happens
even more often when the person asking is a "newbie."

Cheers,
Steve