Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

From: Scott Furry <scott(dot)wl(dot)furry(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog
Date: 2014-09-05 14:55:17
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 05/09/14 08:01 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> OK. Judging from the stacktrace, it's wxWidgets that's at fault here.

>> There's several ways to make the stock Debian and apt.postgresql.org
>> pgadmin3 packages crash:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=750557
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=760350
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754114
>>
>> Dave, would you have any suggestions what we could try to get the
>> problem fixed? Would a proper debug build yield more insight?
> Unfortunately there are a number of such bugs that are not actually in
> pgAdmin and we've been unable to get fixed. That's one of the reasons
> why we're starting work on pgAdmin 4 which won't use wxWidgets. It
> might be worth trying a debug build, but I'm not going to hold my
> breath.
>> Have you tried building with wx3.0 on your OS?
> wx3.0 *should* work, but most of us are still using 2.8 so it's
> definitely not as well tested.
I'm not totally familiar with the crashes of pgAdmin3 and wx3.0 or the
history between the projects. I had tried to build pgAdmin from git
against wx3.0 git-sourced build a couple of months back and was
unsuccessful. I was a little pressed for time at that point so I grabbed
pgAdmin3 from the Arch repositories and didn't give the matter another
thought until I read this thread reply.

I'm disappointed that development would move away from wxWidgets. I'm
sure there are very valid reasons much discussed on the development
mailing list (I'm not subscribed to that list). I'm not a big fan of the
other GUI-widget kit alternatives out there (GTK, QT, and others).

Being a "concerned user", I cross-posted this discussion to the
wxWidgets forums
(http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40030). Maybe we can
get some traction to help resolve these issues?

Regards
Scott