Re: looking for some suggestions

From: "Obe, Regina DND\\MIS" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
To: "Chansup Byun" <Chansup(dot)Byun(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: looking for some suggestions
Date: 2006-05-08 14:11:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Haven't tried this, but I think the aggregate sums in the sequence that the records come so if you want ordered by age then you would force your list to be ordered by birthdate before it is summed. This is a little tricky though since the order by date would screw up your group by so to get around that, you would do a subselect that orders your list and then sum that. Hopefully this will work.

So something like

SELECT childparent.parent, sum(childparent.child || ' ') AS "Children"
(SELECT p.fname As parent, c.fname As child
FROM persons p
LEFT JOIN dependents d ON p.person_id = d.parent_id
LEFT JOIN persons c ON d.child_id = c.person_id
ORDER BY p.fname, c.birth_date) as childparent
GROUP BY childparent.parent ;