Re: How to save a image file in a postgres data field.

From: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
To: <rterry(at)internode(dot)on(dot)net>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to save a image file in a postgres data field.
Date: 2008-09-02 12:40:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Hear your pain, this was all done on debian linux. binmode was a
gotcha

> I've done it with a bytea column like this

> use DBI ;
> use DBD::Pg qw(:pg_types); #Required for us to use the *bytea* column

> I can't interpet the last line which (admittedly in another language)
he says
> is needed to use the bytea type.

> Any further help appreciated.

> Richard

Rich,

Unfortunately I don't know perl too well so the above is pretty cryptic
to me too. From my cursory reading - seems the above just registers
PostgreSQL datatypes with DBD.

Which language are you programming in? My default encoding for my
database is UTF-8, but I don't recall having to do anything special that
wasn't already implicitly done by the driver I was using and I think the
npgsql ADO.NET driver already takes care of registering the Pg bytea and
other PG specific data types so my guess is you are not using .NET.
Then again I don't do too much of storing images in the database.

Seems then that whatever you are doing is not translating your data to
bytea format correctly.

Hope that helps,
Regina