Packages that provide extensions should Requires: an exact version

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-pkg-yum <pgsql-pkg-yum(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Packages that provide extensions should Requires: an exact version
Date: 2014-08-12 08:26:11
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

Hi

Currently it looks like packages that build extensions have:

Requires: postgresql94-server

e.g.

# repoquery -i -R plr93-0:8.3.0.15-1.f20.x86_64 | grep server
postgresql93-server

but this means they can be installed against any PostgreSQL server,
whether or not it's compatible.

Extensions should have a Requires: definition for the exact server
version they're compiled against.

As that might be annoying to maintain, I'm wondering if we can use RPM's
auto-buildrequires stuff to grab the server version, have the server
package Provides: it, and then auto-add appropriate Requires: like RPM
does with libc:

Requires: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)

or Perl:

perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.18.2)

That way it won't be possible to install extensions against an
incompatible server binary.

Thoughts?