Hokey wrong versions of libpq in apt.postgresql.org

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hokey wrong versions of libpq in apt.postgresql.org
Date: 2014-08-07 23:30:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I know this has been brought up before:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140724080902.GA28113@msg.df7cb.de

But this is just plain wrong. I don't care that the FAQ (on the wiki)
says we are doing it wrong for good reasons. When I (or anyone else)
pulls postgresql-$version-dev, I want the libpq for my version. I do not
want 9.3.

Yes, it "should" (because of protocol compatibility) work but it doesn't
always (as stated in that email and in a similar problem we just ran into).

There can be unintended circumstances on machines when you mix and match
like that. Can we please do some proper packaging on this?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564